The leaderboard each week can be depressing. Even those times where you shot the lights out in a TGCTours tournament, it is disheartening to see that your absolute best is still 20 shots worse than the guy that won. The PGA, Euro (and even the Web), it has gotten to the point where if you are not shooting in the 54-62 range every round, you don’t stand a chance at winning one of those little virtual trophies. Making a par feels like making a bogey…and let’s not even talk about how we feel when we par an easy par 5 once or twice. For 95% of us on this site..we will never win. Each week, we will go in fresh, thinking “maybe this time!”..but it won’t happen. For many of us, our best just isn’t good enough..and those 20 or so “elite” players will keep racking up those little virtual trophies. A bit depressing, no? So why bother, some may say? I have seen lots of negativity in the forums lately of players tired of seeing ultra low scores..and disappointed with shooting 63 and considering taking a break, or quitting TGC all together. I’ll admit, I get frustrated with rounds many would consider to be excellent..but I’ve never thought of quitting. I have come to the realization that I will never win on TGCTours. I have come to terms with it. I think some of us need to set more realistic expectations each week.
With that out of the way, let’s talk goal setting. What are your short term goals each week? What is your long term season goal? Do you have any? Please post them in the comments. Here are mine.
Week to Week Goals:
- Confident Goal: Make the cut. (Currently at 100% in Season 2)
- Hopeful Goal: A top 25 finish (So far only 1 for 4 on this…a goal that is attainable for me, but not every week)
- Dream Goal: To see my name on the first page of the leaderboard at the end of a tournament (Happened once last year, but that’s it)
Long Term Goals:
1. Confident Goal: Be within the Top 100 in the WGR at the end of the year (already sitting at 102, very realistic possibility)
2. Hopeful Goal: Destroy Keith Callahan (HB Keith) (We had a season long contest last year where he beat me by ONE spot on the WGR..we have picked up where we left off this season and I’m off to the early lead..I think I’m up by 3 or 4. I HIGHLY suggest you pick a rival and focus on finishing ahead of them each week, makes things much more interesting than just worrying about the top of the leaderboard.)
3. Dream Goal: Finish Top 50 in all 4 majors this year (this will be tough considering all the great talent here, but not completely out of the question).
Just remember..it’s a game..we’re all not going to win..make some goals and have fun.